With spring (and bikini weather!) just around the corner, it’s time to shake off the winter heaviness with a revitalizing detox program. But where should you start?
Much like finding the best diet, choosing the best detox technique can be confusing. Juice cleanse? Lemon detox? Total fast? The truth is that the best detox (like the best diet) is the one that sets up long term habits to keep your body healthy all year round.
Make a lasting change
While a quick-fix detox might help things for a few days, a Yoga Detox includes techniques that will give you year-round benefits, as well as giving you immediate results.
Using yoga to detoxify your body also has powerful mental and emotional benefits. The physical movements and breathing techniques that are used to expel toxins through yoga are also proven mood enhancers and stress reducers. It’s a cleanse for your mind as well as for your body.
A yoga detox uses three special techniques to effectively cleanse the body: Detoxifying yoga poses, Cleansing yoga breathing, Calming yoga relaxation.
1. Detoxifying Yoga Poses
Yoga poses detoxify the body in two main ways:
a.Improving digestion – Twists help get the digestive system moving by stimulating digestive enzymes, toning muscles in the abdominal area and improving the function of the small and large intestine.
b. Improve elimination –Apana, the downward moving energy of elimination, is an important component of detoxification. A simple yoga pose such as Apanasana strengthens Apana, helping your body to expel waste.
2. Cleansing Yoga Breathing
Many of the toxins in your body are expelled through breathing. Pranayama (breathing) techniques will help you breathe away the dross and inhale fresh vitality.
3. Calming Yoga Relaxation
The digestive system is strongly impacted by stress. Stress slows the digestive system right down, making it sluggish and inefficient. When you relax, the body creates the optimum conditions for absorbing nutrients and eliminating waste.
A detoxifying weekend of yoga, practicing twice a day and eating only light, unprocessed foods, is the ideal way to cleanse body and mind. You can extend the benefits of a detox weekend by adding some simple yoga cleansing practices to your daily routine. Try this easy 15 minute home-practice:
Easy 15 Minute Detox Yoga Routine
1. Lie on your back with your knees drawn into your chest, feet off the floor and palms on knees.
2. Inhale: straighten your arms so that your knees draw away from your chest
3. Exhale: bend your elbows and use your abdominal muscles to draw your thighs into your belly
Repeat steps 2 & 3 eight times.
1. Lie on your back with your knees drawn into your chest, feet off the floor and arms out to the sides at shoulder height.
2. Exhale: drop your knees down to the left, consciously drawing your belly button in to your spine. Simultaneously turn your head to look right.
3. Inhale: bring your knees and head back to centre
4. Exhale: drop your knees down to the right, consciously drawing your belly button in to your spine. Simultaneously turn your head to look left.
5. Inhale: bring your knees and head back to centre
6. Repeat steps 2-5 four times.
1. Lie on the floor and close your eyes
2. Place your hands on your lower abdomen, beneath the belly button.
3. Inhale into your hands, feeling the belly rise and lift the hands gently
4. Exhale and feel the hands and belly drop back down.
5. Repeat 12 times.
Adore Yoga runs annual Spring Detox Weekend Retreats
at Maralaya, 45 mins north west of Sydney CBD. The next retreat is 12-14 October. BOOK NOW.